Monday, March 5, 2012

At the Zoo

Growing up, my family has always enjoyed the Zoo, as entertainment yet more important a time for bonding. I recall having my 12th Birthday at the Minnesota State Zoo. My favorite exhibit were the baboons. While attending, the current condition of the animal's happiness never came to mind, not once.

However, this all changed when I went to the zoo again this past summer with my sister and nephews. My perspective has transformed dramatically. One specific experience I recall perfectly was the "tiger den." Visitors were to view the tiger from above. Even though the tiger's area had forestry and a small pond, all I can remember is the tiger pacing back and forth along the edge of the fence. I think back at how taken sad I was, even now. The tiger seemed so unhappy. When an animal paces back and forth anytime, I instantly think of misery.

I know I don't have the power quite yet to implement change in this tiger's life, but someday I hope I do. Zoo's can be a great thing; whether it is through education or animal rehabilitation they do serve a purpose. There just has to be a way to ensure animal happiness at a greater level.

No comments:

Post a Comment